frequently asked questions
The majority of India’s electricity supply continues to be generated from fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas. However, these traditional energy sources face a number of challenges including rising prices, security concerns over dependence on imported oil, and environmental concerns. Renewable energy sources have emerged as potential alternatives which address some of these concerns. Solar power generation has emerged as one of the most rapidly growing renewable sources of electricity and has the potential to comprise a significant portion of India’s energy mix – today and into the future. Some of the benefits of solar power include:
- A cleaner environment Solar energy is an efficient, zero emissions and renewable power source. Solar power, when used as an alternative to coal-generated electricity, can significantly reduce India’s greenhouse gas emissions.
- A limitless source of energy Unlike fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas, we don’t need to worry about running out of solar energy. In fact, larger installations will be able to produce solar power regardless of the time of the day, thus producing nonstop sustainable solar energy. During the day the energy is produced by harnessing the solar radiation.
- Independence from imported fuels Solar power can play an important role in increasing the security of India’s energy supply. Solar energy production does not require fossil fuels and therefore makes India less dependent on imported supplies of these finite and expensive natural resources.
- Low maintenance Solar panels, once properly installed, require very little maintenance. They don’t involve any moving parts that will wear out or need replacing. Even the most basic solar panels can be relied upon to produce thousands of hours of energy with a bare minimum of maintenance.
- No noise pollution No noise is emitted from the generation of solar power.
Solar power plant installations will normally be installed in areas with high irradiation. Although generally installed on a roof, they can be installed on any surface such as a facade, sunshade, garage or on the ground, usually by constructing a tracker system. They should not be placed in shaded locations (e.g., places that are in the shadow of other buildings or large trees) since this will decrease electricity output.
Addwatt solar rof top installation are generally of high quality and efficiency. A solar roof top installation of size 1 kw produces 5 units of electricity per day (* it can be more) on an average 1500 units of electricity is generated per year. In a tropical country like India it is far more beneficiated by high radiance.
Since the electricity generated depends on light intensity and not irradiation or direct sunlight, it will produce electricity in cloudy conditions. However, more the intensity of light more is the flow of electricity. Hence you generate more on sunnier days. However Addwatt selects solar panels in such a way that they are optimized to produce power on cloudy days as well.
Most solar deployments fall into two categories: those using a flat structure such as a rooftop or those using available ground spaces. For roof-mounted systems, generally you should have a minimum of 90 square feet for installation of 1kw solar power plant. Currently Addwatt offers both rooftop and ground mounted programs.
Solar installations are built by assembling solar panels. The manufacturing of the panels starts with silicon, the second most abundant element in the planet’s crust, usually in crystalline form. Purified silicon is then cast and cut into wafers a fraction of a millimeter thin. The wafers are then turned into solar cells. Finally, the cells are assembled into solar panels. The panels are made from solar cells that are linked together in series to generate power output. A number of solar panels can be linked together in an array to produce the desired electric output. Depending on the type of application, the rest of the system (“balance of system” or BOS”) consists of different components such as the mounting structure (racks/trackers), DC switches, inverters, and meters.
The industry’s standard power output guarantee from Addwatt is 25 years, however the estimated lifetime for high quality solar panels is estimated to be much longer.
Rooftop solar PV systems are of 3 types:
- Grid-tied – These rooftop systems are primarily designed to supply the generated power to the grid and also power the load. These systems will NOT generate power during a power failure as the inverter shuts down the system to stop sending power into the grid and avoids the risk of electrocuting utility personnel who are working to repair the grid
- Grid-interactive – This system works in conjunction with either a battery backup or diesel generator to support the load even during a power failure.
- Off-grid – This system does not work with the grid and is designed to work only with a battery backup or diesel generator in off-grid applications The difference between the systems lies in the kind of inverter used, and the inclusion of batteries.
Addwatt is becoming a brand name in solar power industry. An organization completely dedicated towards the development of Solar PV Plant. Addwatt scope of work would include all approvals and clearances, Turnkey EPC up to final synchronization with the existing power supply, comprising of design and engineering, supply of all materials, installation, testing, commissioning and Operation & Maintenance of Solar Power Plant. Installing solar panels enables you to generate your own clean, green electricity directly from the sun. This not only reduces electricity bills but also CO2 emissions and greenhouse gases. The financial advantages of a solar installation are enhanced in many markets by local incentives, e.g.:
- Investments subsidies/tax credits (The authorities refund part of the cost of installing the system.
- Feed-in tariffs (feed-in tariffs works by guaranteeing a long-term premium payment for electricity generated from renewable sources and fed into the grid).
- Net metering (the electricity utility buys solar electricity from the producer under a multiyear contract at a guaranteed rate) .
Because of the highly experienced and qualified crew of Addwatt it takes not more than 4 to 8 weeks to complete a solar rooftop installation.